Committed to Environmental Preservation
Located next to the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is committed to environmental preservation.
Our award-winning recycling and reuse programs have been recognized by the State of California and the City of Santa Cruz.
OUR EFFORTS INCLUDE:
- Recycling or reusing approximately 180 tons of material annually
- Reclaiming approximately 1 million gallons of water annually for landscaping and other non-potable water applications
- Installing waterless urinals and low-flush toilets in 2008 and beyond
- Prohibiting the use of polystyrene (Styrofoam) at all Boardwalk food locations
- Installing the first solar powered trash compactors in Northern California
- Recycling oil generated from vehicles and rides, green waste generated from landscaping, and electronic waste
- Cleaning the beach in front of the Boardwalk daily during the Spring and Summer
- Participating in valued community programs such as Coastal Clean-Up Day and Bike-to-Work Day
- Providing discounted bus passes, as well as bicycle and skateboard locker to encourage employee use of alternative transportation
- Providing electric vehicles for maintenance crews
OUR EFFORTS HAVE BEEN RECOGNIZED BY STATE AND LOCAL AGENCIES:
- California Integrated Waste Management Board "Waste Reduction Award" winner every year since 1995
- Selected as a City of Santa Cruz "Clean Ocean Business" every year since 2004
- Recognized in 2008 as a "Bicycle-Friendly Business" by the League of American Bicyclists
- Recipient of 2003 "Sanctuary Reflections Award" from the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
- Named 1995 "California Ecotourism Business" of the Year Named 1995 "Ecology Action Environmental Business of the Year"
- Named "Santa Cruz County Sustainable Quality Award" winner in 1995